UPDATED: Th., 10/13/11, 6am:
- VIDEO: Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Parks and Demonstration
- An open letter and warning from a former tea party movement adherent to the Occupy Wall Street movement.
- Idea for OWS/ OSLC: Funeral procession for the American Dream.
- Can we make one thing really clear? No violence. None.
- MUST WATCH: Meet Adara Scarlet. Her father killed himself because he was sick and couldn’t afford health insurance. He did it so that the cost of his treatment wasn’t passed on to his daughters.
UPDATED: Tues., 10/11/11
More Articles that have some perspective on the Occupy movements:
- What is Occupy Wall Street? The history of leaderless movements – Washington Post
- RadioWest with Doug Fabrizio (KUER podcast) – The New National Occupation; …with a guest appearance by Ms. Deb Henry!
- We are the 99 percent – Tumblr
UPDATED: Sat, 10/8/11, 11:35am
I have seen many questions from others (who are also the 99%) about #OccupySLC on Twitter and on Facebook so I thought I would aggregate some information here for your use. I will update this as information changes/ there is more information. This is basic information of FAQ.
For more specifics, go to the main website: OccupySLC.org
- The Mission of Occupy SLC is to occupy Salt Lake City in solidarity with the people currently occupying Wall Street and dozens of other cities across the United States and the world. We are open, inclusive, and democratic and will remain so throughout the occupation. There are currently Occupy Together movements in 1,007 cities.
- First OFFICIAL release from Occupy Wall Street:
As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.
As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.
They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.
They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices.
They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.
They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
They have sold our privacy as a commodity.
They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.
They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.
They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.
They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.
They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.
They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.
They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.
They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.
They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.
They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts. *
To the people of the world,
We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.
Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.
To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.
Join us and make your voices heard!
Text ‘Occupyslc2011’ to 41411 for updates.
General Assembly meets each night in SLC at 7:30pm at the south side of Pioneer Park. Feel free to join us, observe and/or participate and vote on motions.
Marches are each day at 12 noon (for the people who want to participate during lunchtime), and 6pm (for those who want to participate after work). We leave from the south side of Pioneer Park.
Online Forum with Discussion is here.
There is a Welcome/ Information booth at Pioneer Park.
We’re still working out a system to take donations, but goods are always welcome. There is a wishlist on our main page.
Much of the information about #occupySLC is constantly evolving. There is no centralized power. Centralized power is exactly what we are trying to build an alternative to.
#OccupySLC – get updates from anyone talking about our local movement
#OccupyWallStreet, #OWS – a few of the many tags being used in NY and in solidarity
Tidbits that make my happy/ I want to share:
Other posts that I feel are important to share:
BBC Speechless As Trader Tells Truth: “The Collapse Is Coming…And Goldman Rules The World”
- Mother Jones: It’s the Inequality, Stupid: Eleven charts that explain what’s wrong with America.
- Paul Krugman- Confronting the Malefactors – “There’s something happening here. What it is ain’t exactly clear, but we may, at long last, be seeing the rise of a popular movement that, unlike the Tea Party, is angry at the right people.”